1.Ride your bike, especially for trips under two miles. Why? The emission controls on your car are not operating effectively in the first few minutes thus short trips create more pollution.
2. Get your kids to ride. In 1964 50% of kids rode to school and the obesity rate was 12%…in 2004, 3% rode to school and the obesity rate was 45%. To learn more, check out www.saferoutestoschools.org.
3. Get your friends to ride their bikes. Challenge them to find out where they can pedal within two miles of their house, then encourage them to take a bike for short trips.
4. Contact your state bicycle advocacy group and support their efforts.
5. Like to ride mountain bikes? Join the IMBA and support their efforts to open new trails and maintain existing trails.
6. Keep updated on important issues and events. Sign up for 1world2wheels.org.